Happy Friday the 13th!
Posted by Emer Kelly on the 13th of July 2012 at 14:36:00
Today in Friday the 13th ooohhhhhhh some people believe that this day brings bad luck, others think that it brings good luck (let’s try and win the lottery!)….Ha ha.
As for me, I’ve always been neutral regarding this date and I usually ignore all the superstition that goes with it...And I am sure we do not even really know why this day should bring back luck. Triskaidekaphobia (hard to pronounce) – the fear of the number 13 - is just engrained in our mentalities.
Indeed, there are many more superstitions regarding figures, some of which are:
- Tetraphobia, fear of the number 4 – (phonetically similar to the word "death"), widely spread in Korea, China and Japan, as well as in many other East-Asian and some Southeast-Asian countries. It is not uncommon for buildings to lack floors with the number 4, and Finnish mobile phone manufacturer Nokia's does not include any model numbers beginning with a 4.
- 17, which is a happy day in Ireland because of St Patrick’s Day, is an unlucky number in Italy, because in Roman digits 17 is written XVII, that could be rearranged to "VIXI", which in Latin means "I lived" (…and I’m dead now)
- In Romania, Greece and some areas of Spain and Latin America, Tuesday the 13th is considered unlucky.
The Irish are a bit superstitious themselves – not only in regard to Friday the 13th. Here are some of the funniest Irish superstitions:
- A crowing hen, a whistling girl, and a black cat are considered very unlucky. Beware of them in a house.
- A sick persons bed must be placed north and south not cross ways.
- A bunch of mint tied around the wrist is believed to ward off infection and disease.
- If a rooster comes to your threshold and crows, you may expect visitors.
- While on a trip if you see three magpies on your left it is unlucky; but two on the right is a good omen.
- If you hear a cuckoo on your right you will have good luck for a year.
- Drinking boiled down carrot juice will purify the blood. (I'd prefer not to try this one…)
- If a chair falls when a person stands up, it is an unlucky omen.
- If you have a four-leaf shamrock you will have good luck in gambling, good luck in racing, and witchcraft will have no power over you. But, you must always carry it on you. You cannot give it away. You cannot show it to anyone.
- If you want a person to win at cards, put a crooked pin in his coat.
- If the palm of your hand itches you will be coming into money. If it's your elbow you will be changing beds. If your ear itches and it is red and hot, someone is saying bad things behind your back!
- If you want to know the name of the person you are to marry, put a snail on a plate sprinkled with flour. Cover the plate and leave it overnight. In the morning the initial of the person will be on the plate, traced by the snail.
If you know about other superstitions, do not hesitate, share them with us! I am sure talking about it will make bad luck go away!
Happy Friday the 13th Everyone :)
Like these fun facts about Friday the 13th - you'll love these ones about St. Patrick's Day!